A commitment to a healthy and vibrant community for today and tomorrow.
To promote leadership and sustainability within our communities through a permanent endowment fund created and maintained by donations from the community to enable broad and effective grant-making.
Openness, integrity and accountability.
The Nakusp & Area Community Foundation, identified as a community priority, was brought to fruition by the Nakusp & Area Development Board. The NACF received Letters Patent on August 28, 2002. Through the aid of the Bootstrap Project, registered charitable status was achieved May 23, 2003. NACF received registration as a Community Foundation August 26, 2003.
The communities included in the Nakusp & Area Community Foundation are: Nakusp, Burton, Fauquier, Edgewood and Trout Lake.
The objectives of the Corporation shall be carried out primarily within the communities of Nakusp, Burton, Fauquier, Edgewood and Trout Lake.
- The Corporation shall receive and maintain a fund or funds and apply any part of the principal and income therefrom in the furtherance of the following purpose:
- To give grants to “qualified donees” as defined under provisions of the Income Tax Act, for projects which contribute to a healthy community and promote advancement in areas such as: arts and culture, social welfare, education, environmental protection, recreation, health care and community development.
- Some of the specific areas for consideration will be: the relief of poverty, educational needs, social welfare and health, programs for the aged and disabled, preservation and protection of the environment, advancement of arts and culture, prevention of delinquency and substance abuse.
- The Board of Directors shall serve the Corporation and community in the following manner:
- To convene meetings to provide a forum to consider community priorities and actions around emerging and existing community needs.
It is not the intention of the Directors to influence public opinion, but to :
- Ensure fairness in the granting process.
- Ensure best practices and standards in financial accountability and governance.
- Raise the awareness of the Community Foundation and encourage philanthropy for the betterment of communities in our region.
Nakusp and Area Community Foundation can only consider requests primarily within the communities of Nakusp, Burton, Fauquier, Edgewood and Trout Lake.
The Nakusp & Area Development Board invested the initial funding, on behalf of the NACF, of $10,000 with the Vancouver Foundation in December 2003.
In early 2005, voters expressed confidence in the NACF by awarding the Community Foundation a $15,000 grant from the Community Initiatives Fund of the Columbia Basin Trust.
The NCAF reached its goal of $160,000 in the fall of 2006!. Thank-you everyone who donated and worked to help us achieve our goal!
In these changing times, it is vital for our community to have a self-sustaining funding source. You can support your community by donating to the Nakusp & Area Community Foundation. The Nakusp & Area Community Foundation is committed to working with other agencies, foundations and organizations.
We are a member of the Community Foundations of Canada.